+971 50 658 2694
Rae Lawrie is a director at Accuracy. Rae specialises in fraud, financial, corruption investigations and asset recovery engagements. He has over 25 years of experience in investigating allegations of fraud and misconduct, asset misappropriation and bribery and corruption in a variety of industries. He is also a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
Rae obtained over ten years of criminal investigation and prosecution experience working at the UK Serious Fraud Office and since 2004 has undertaken forensic investigation and asset tracing engagements for corporate clients from across the globe.
Prior to joining Accuracy, Rae gained extensive experience with Deloitte and KPMG’s forensic practices in London before transferring to Deloitte’s MENA forensic practice where he spent eight years.
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- MSc in Materials Research, Queen Mary College, University of London
- Eng (Hons) in Material Science and Engineering, Queen Mary College, University of London
Rae has significant experience providing both reactive and proactive forensic services for clients including numerous fraud, financial, corruption and sanction investigations, asset tracing engagements and fraud risk assessments for clients in Europe, America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia covering multiple industry sectors.
Rae spent over 10 years working at the Serious Fraud Office, a prosecuting authority in the UK investigating white-collar crime, impropriety and corruption. Rae is experienced in giving written and oral evidence in criminal cases, on issues that include asset tracing, theft and financial analysis.
Rae has been involved with the investigation of one of the largest fraud and asset tracing engagements in the Middle East. An international cross border engagement seeking to quantify and recover the proceeds of an alleged USD 9.2 billion fraud. Rae was responsible for a number of the investigation and asset tracing work-streams, including drafting witness statements and liaising directly with: the UK, USA and Kingdom of Saudi Arabian legal teams; the prosecutor’s representatives in Bahrain; and UK and Cayman counsel.
- Conducted an international cross border fraud and asset tracing engagement seeking to quantify and recover the proceeds of an alleged USD 9.2 billion fraud.
- Led the investigation on behalf of a GCC Central Bank and the Public Prosecutor looking into allegations of money laundering, fraud and corruption. This work included establishing the flow of investments related funds, circa USD 350 million on infrastructure projects to identify indications of criminal behavior including kick-backs, conflicts of interest, bribe payments and potential regulatory breaches by the parties involved.
- Led the investigation on behalf of a GCC Bank looking into allegations of fraud and corruption in obtaining circa. USD 300 million of bank funding to complete construction contracts. This work included establishing whether contracts awarded were due to fraud, conflicts of interest and/or bribe payments by the parties involved.
- Led a government initiated confidential fraud and corruption investigation on behalf of a GCC Sovereign Wealth Fund covering numerous industry sectors.
- Led an investigation for a GCC bank to determine whether the bank/ bank employees were involved in the diversion of funds to illegally earn profits by breaching Central Bank Regulations.
- Led an investigation into allegations of incompetence, malpractice and corruption against a senior member of a university’s non-academic staff responsible for an annual budget of more than USD 5 million. This included preparing the witness statements and supporting evidence for the Public Prosecutor.
- Led a fraud risk assessment on behalf of a leading global provider of plastics solutions.
- Led an internal investigation to identify breaches of regulatory requirements in respect of gifts, hospitality and sponsorship at the Moscow and UK offices of a global financial institution.
- Involved in a a number of US Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act, Investigations covering the USA, UK, Azerbaijan, Switzerland, Romania, Hungary, Portugal, Russia, GCC, Turkey and Egypt. Following the investigations involved in the design, development, implementation and roll out of anti-bribery compliance programs for a number of clients in different industries.