+852 2239 2914
- about Carl
- in-depth expertise
- examples of engagements
Carl Chan is a director at Accuracy. He joined the firm in May 2021, having previously acquired extensive experience in financial services advisory at Moody’s Analytics, Deloitte and KPMG.
Carl specialises in financial risk management (both quantitative modelling and regulatory compliance for credit risk, market risk, counterparty credit risk, liquidity risk, operational risk and capital adequacy), portfolio analysis and Fintech / Regtech solutions. He has delivered over 70 engagements for banks, security firms, insurance companies, asset managers, pension funds and government bodies.
Carl has worked with professionals including product specialists, researchers, system developers and practice leaders to deliver projects.
Carl Speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- BSc In Actuarial Science, The University of Hong Kong
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®), CFA Institute
- Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM®), GARP
Carl covers a broad range of risk management topics with extensive hands-on experience; these include regulatory compliance (EBA, HKMA, SFC, CBIRC, MAS, AMCM, etc.), credit risk, market risk, counterparty credit risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, limit setting, stress testing and capital management.
Fintech / Regtech
Carl has gained substantial expertise in helping clients implement system solutions over the past several years. These have included regulatory compliance, calculation engine, financial reporting and database systems. Carl has also developed standalone analytics tools that can work on their own or be integrated with other systems.
Carl makes use of advanced analytics to perform portfolio analysis (for both banking book and trading book) and to provide practical portfolio optimisation recommendations.
- A banking regulator – assisted the regulator in reviewing and validating banks’ market risk and valuation models.
- Large global bank – reviewed and validated the bank’s counterparty credit risk internal models for regulatory approval.
- Large American bank – reviewed and validated the bank’s practices in credit risk, market risk, liquidity risk and operational risk management.
- A Big 5 bank in Hong Kong – reviewed the bank’s practices in counterparty credit risk management.
- A Big 5 bank in Hong Kong – reviewed and validated the bank’s credit valuation adjustment and initial margin models.
Fintech / Regtech
- Over 20 major banks, security firms, insurers, asset managers and governments – developed and implemented International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) 9 solutions. Developed standalone analytics tool for cash flow generation, expected credit loss calculation, risk parameterisation and reporting.
- Several major banks in Hong Kong – solution implementation for Basel III market risk (aka. FRTB) requirements.
- A Big 5 bank in Hong Kong – developed credit risk internal ratings-based models for the bank (including PD, LGD, EAD models) for system implementation.
- Several major banks in Hong Kong – solution implementation for Standard Initial Margin Model (SIMM) to fulfil margining requirements for OTC derivative trades. Developed standalone calculation tools for implementation / validation.
- Three major Singaporean banks and a major Thai bank – performed portfolio analysis and advised on portfolio optimisation for the banks’ banking book and trading book portfolios (by using quantitative measures including Sharpe, RAROC, Economic Capital, etc.).