Carl Chan is a director at Accuracy, with 15 years of professional experience in serving financial institutions, large corporates, governments, funds, etc. His covered topics include data analytics / science, ESG, risk management, strategy, digitalisation, transactions, compliance.
Carl has led over 100 projects in his consultancy career. His is recognised by his deep expertise, strategic insights to stand out and value-adding approaches in delivering projects.
Before joining Accuracy, Carl worked in HSBC, Moody’s Analytics and Big 4 advisory firms.
Carl has worked with professionals including product specialists, researchers, system developers and practice leaders to deliver engagements.
Carl speaks English (fluent), Cantonese (native), Mandarin (fluent), French (basic).
- BSc In Actuarial Science, The University of Hong Kong
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®)
- Financial Risk Manager (FRM®)
Carl has strong expertise in risk management topics. He has extensive hands-on experience in enterprise risk management, credit risk, market risk, liquidity risk, operational risk, ESG risks, climate change related risks. He has delivered numerous financial risk management and climate risk related projects to banks, insurance and other financial institutions. He has also delivered projects on enterprise risk management and ESG risk management to large corporates.
Data Analytics / Science
Carl has strong expertise in data analytics / science topics. He has delivered a number of projects on big data analytics, data-driven performance enhancement and transformation. In particular, he has worked a lot with retail banking and other retail sectors on this topic.
ESG and sustainability
Carl has worked with major financial institutions and large corporates on ESG transformation and sustainability projects. He has developed market best practice ESG risk management frameworks, scenario analysis methodologies, ESG scoring methodology, stress-testing toolkit, carbon net-zero strategies, disclosure templates and methodologies.
- Development of risk appetite, enterprise risk management framework, risk strategies, risk management policies and procedural guidelines.
- Development and implementation of internal risk ratings, scorecards, models and analytics tools for financial institutions.
- Development of product pricing and portfolio valuation models.
- Full coverage of Basel III/IV regulatory requirements and modelling techniques.
- Independent review of adequacy and appropriateness of the firms’ overall risk management and control practices.
- Analysis of big data using programming languages such as Python, R, SQL, SAS.
- Development and implementation of business decision-making models and toolkits based on various modelling techniques.
- Development and implementation of AI-powered models and solutions.
ESG and sustainability
- Development of ESG risk assessment framework, methodologies and toolkits. The framework includes end-to-end ESG risk identification, measurement and monitoring of ESG risks.
- Development of ESG and sustainability scoring models and toolkit.
- Development of ESG climate risk models for transition risks and physical risks, and stress testing models.
- Development of carbon net-zero strategies, sector policies, target setting and monitoring tools.
- Development and customization of methodologies and toolkits for measurement of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.